Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Wat Pho

After visiting the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew, I walked over to Wat Pho, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.  On my walk (which was about 15 minutes) I was approached by many men telling me that Wat Pho is closed.  After what happened last time, I knew not to trust those "friendly security guards".  And guess what?  When I arrived at the gate, it was open!  

The pictures I have really don't do it justice - the Reclining Buddha is about 150 feet long and 46 feet high.  It is inside a temple, so it is hard to get good photos.  Plus there are many tourists cramped inside who are also trying to take pictures.  


Try and compare the Buddha to the little heads in the lower left corner





The back of the Buddha





The Reclining Buddha's mother of pearl feet



Close ups of the feet





A design on one of the temple walls





Below are some photos of the rest of Wat Pho.   There are many other temples and Buddhas throughout the grounds. 











A close up of the above structures



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what their motive is to tell you it's closed, lol. Why do you think they do that? Haha It doesn't make sense.

Kris