Thursday, October 13, 2011

Concrete Everywhere


The buildings in Dhaka are all concrete and there is construction EVERYWHERE.  There are no pretty views here.  A friend who works at the local hospital told me how one day he went up to the roof and decided to count how many buildings he could see under construction.  He counted a whopping 54.



The view below is from a friend's house in Banani.




 The men here wear sandals and skirt/pants that are called lungis - and when they are doing construction, they also wear sandals and lungis.  As you can see below, they look much more comfortable than clothes worn by western men.  On the other hand, the women have to wear much more clothing than the men, and I can say from experience that they are not comfortable, and very hot!



 I have noticed that the safety precautions here, with not only construction, are basically nonexistent.  In the local English paper, The Daily Star, there was a story about a boy who was walking by a building under construction when a brick fell on him and killed him.  Very sad.  One thing I have learned - I must always be aware of my surroundings!

0 comments: