One thing I didn't know before coming to Bangladesh was whether or not they had grocery stores. Well it turns out they do, and they're actually pretty clean and well stocked. They also have a somewhat decent amount of choices, which are mostly Australian brands. However, we rarely buy fruits and veggies there as they are 3 times as expensive as the ones in the market, and you still have to bleach them (or else get very sick!). So we figured buying them at the market would save us money - plus we are lucky to have Shanti doing the shopping for us, so we pay the local price.
Last weekend we walked around the market so I could get some shots and share them with you. This market not only has fruits and veggies, it has clothing, household supplies, and an indoor seafood market (when I say indoor, I mean it's covered by a concrete slab). Oh, and it smells horrible - it was walking around this market where I almost threw up from the smell. I know you can't imagine this, but just think of an outhouse at a football tailgate (4 hours later) plus a badly maintained petting zoo all in one; and it smells worse than that.
If you look closely at the red wood, you can see a nasty little visitor...
We tried to buy some lychees, but there was a bit of miscommunication and we ended up leaving without them.
This is one of the reasons why it smells so bad.
While crossing the street, I spotted this mother changing her son in the median. This is quite common as there are lots of adults and children who ask for money along this insanely busy intersection.
There are men walking around everywhere with these caged birds and rabbits. We talked to him for a few minutes as I tried to catch a photo, and he said that the parrot cost 50 taka (less than a US dollar).
I've found that taking photos in Dhaka is incredibly difficult as people and things are always getting in the way of a good shot. There are just so many dang people. In addition, the boys and men all want their photos taken, so I find myself feeling claustrophobic as they all surround me and make a camera gesture. Or when I'm taking a photo of something, they jump into the frame and mess up the whole thing. I have so many pictures where some boy is standing behind the subject with a goofy grin. It is frustrating, but at least I'm becoming an incredibly patient person!




11 comments:
Once again your words & pix wow me. It's such fun reading thru your blog. I'm glad there's no smell app!!
GET A PARROT!!!!
Lindsay - I enjoy readying your posts but I can't help but point out that you often use language and imagery that is, without question, offensive. Instead of saying that you almost threw up, or something smelled "HORRIBLE", you might find a more tasteful or respectful way of expressing your thoughts about local conditions. Yes, things are different than what you're used to, but do you need to consistently refer to Bangladeshis as dirty, smelly, or rude? Could you make an attempt at understanding why things are they way they are? Or how locals struggle with or overcome the conditions that they actually live in?
Of course this is your blog and you're entitled to do whatever you would like, but you might consider how your words make you appear.
Anonymous - Thanks for your thoughts. Certainly one's words carry a lot of weight.
Please know that I have absolutely no intention of being offensive. I have never called a Bangladeshi dirty, smelly, or rude - that is untrue. The Bangladeshis I have come in contact with are extremely friendly, warm, and compassionate. In this post I am simply trying to describe this market in a colorful, not completely boring way to my friends and family. And yes, it smells bad. Please don't attribute my thoughts about a smelly market to the people here - that is offensive to me!
Lindsay, you appear smart, honest, intelligent, caring, compassionate, and understanding to me. Not sure what "Anonymous" is talking about and really don't want to even lend any legitimacy here by responding to their comment,but you are doing a great job and keep up what you are doing. Love the pictures and your words are always a pleasure to read. At least you don't pretend to live some glamorous life that doesn't really exist. The reality of life here can be heartbreaking, smelly, corrupt, and lacking in so many ways. The local people are wonderful and friendly despite all that and you have made sure that that comes across in all of your posts. Thank you for your honesty and thoughtfulness.
Thank you, Carrie. I really appreciate your comment.
Tyler - you're hilarious - I don't know if a parrot would be a good idea as Petey and Sonny would go crazy!!
Just know that behind this market is where the animals shown in photos live, eat, defecate, and are slaughtered. Combine this with rotting organics, fish guts, garbage, stagnant water, and months of 100+ F degree temps, and the inarguable result is something that all nationalities and cultures can agree on - a horrible smell.
Yet Lindsay doesn't say this is a bad thing or wrong or should be done differently. It's simply life in Dhaka: colorful, busy, smelly, and in your face. Any whitewashing or PC-ization of this fact is a lie.
And in terms of making an attempt to understand people and where they're coming from, is there a better way than spending hours in the heat of the afternoon walking, sweating, and talking with local people in a market full of cockroaches, puddles, and livestock? Certainly anonymous internet PC cultural commentary is a poor substitute.
Nice trolling attempt Anonymous, or should I say KRISTEN FEUER! DUH DUH DUH!!!!
In all seriousness though, I haven't checked in with the blog in a while and I loved these photos. I think your photography is getting better and better, and I can see how frustrating it must be to have constant Bangladeshi photo-bombers, but hey, at least you're not shooting film. Now that would suck.
OMG I would never say or think that. I was just horrified when I read that anonymous comment. It was blatantly NOT true! However, Linds your response was perfect!!!
Kristen
Thanks, Aaron! And geez, Kristen you are so mean! ;)
Post a Comment