Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cultural Differences

So far I've noticed a couple things about Bangladeshis:

1.  They do not know what a litter box is.  When the internet guy came a couple days ago, he looked at the litter box and asked me what it was.  I told him it was a litter box and he gave me a quizzical look.  Before I could explain it, he had already bent down and put his hand in the litter!  I said, "no!!  that's where our cats go to the bathroom!"  He was a bit disgusted, and I couldn't help but laugh :)

2.  They walk on the left side of the 'sidewalk'.  I was walking to a Foreign Service Spouse Tea Event yesterday, and I kept walking on the right.  Luckily everyone I passed was nice and gave me a big smile.

3.  They love to please, and are offended if you try to do things yourself.  This was true in Thailand as well.  When we stayed in Thailand, we had 4 carry ons and 2 big cat crates.  When we checked in, the guy at the front desk said that he would have his security bring up our bags.  My husband, being a do-it yourself kind of guy, went to one of his bags and said he could take this one up.  He saw that the guy was offended so he asked him if he wanted him to leave it.  The guy looked at him and said (quite loudly and convincingly) "Yes, Sir!!".

    Everyone here has a driver, and our sponsor is no exception.  Apparently she told her driver that I might be calling to get a ride somewhere.  I hadn't realized this was an option, so I never called him.  Every day when our sponsor got a ride home from work, he would look at her and say, "Miss Lindsay did not call me today..." with a frown on his face.  Needless to say I am calling him today for a ride to the US Embassy  :)


I'm sure there are PLENTY of other cultural differences that I have not picked up on yet - and will, very soon - but these are just a few of my favorites so far.  I'm still enjoying taking everything in, and I'm excited to see more!

4 comments:

Aaron said...

The internet guy must think you have well trained/genius cats.

Mommajohamma said...

Do you tip the service people as we do in the US? I'm thinking cha-ching, cha-ching...that could add up. But how neat that you can feel like a princess!

lkennedy said...

You are already getting an education after just a few days...think of how much you will learn in two years!! That is exciting to think about!

Lindsay said...

Ha Aaron - he did seem pretty impressed!

MJ - We actually do not tip here unless we think the person did something above and beyond what is expected.

Mom - I can't imagine how much I will learn from this experience - it's incredibly exciting :)