Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Bangladeshi Rock Concert

On Thursday night we went to a Bangladeshi rock band concert that was held in a local cafe.  The band sang American 'oldies' to an audience of mostly wealthy, young Bangladeshis.  After spending most of our time around locals who earn about $1 a day, this crowd was the complete opposite.   Needless to say, we did not feel like we were in Bangladesh anymore.

Here are a couple clips of the songs they played:








Since Bangladesh is a predominately Muslim country, alcohol is illegal for locals and therefore there are no bars or places to buy alcohol except the commissary and a couple American hotels.  Foreigners are allowed to bring alcohol to most places including restaurants and in this case, the rock concert.  There were 8 of us who went, and we brought in a bottle of wine and some beer.  I have to admit that I did feel guilty drinking alcohol when I knew that it was illegal for everyone else in the room.

So, not only am I feeling a bit awkward for just drinking alcohol, I have to make it worse by spilling my cup of red wine all over the floor and couch in front of me.  I know it sounds bad, but I promise I was trying to get my camera out so I could take some videos of the band to put on this blog.  So I tried to be all nonchalant and go over to the bar to get some napkins without anyone noticing when the manager comes over and prevents me from grabbing the napkins.  The manager goes over to one of the waiters and says something - and of course my immediate thought was that I was going to be kicked out.  Instead, two waiters come over and clean up my mess and the manager looks at me and points to the band as if to say, don't worry - enjoy the band!  I couldn't believe it.  And I know he was trying to be nice and show me a good time, but I couldn't help feeling more embarrassed and guilty because I couldn't even clean up my own mess.





The concert was a blast.  If you know me well, then you know I LOVE oldies and was very excited to hear them play.  :)

4 comments:

lkennedy said...

For some reason the videos are unavailable. I will try again tomorrow. Sounds like the concert was a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your blog. It's so nice to have so interesting news of your daily life. Keep them coming! aida

lkennedy said...

I got to see and hear the videos this morning. Sounded like a lot of fun! Nothing like oldies to make you smile :)

Lindsay said...

Yay, I'm glad they work now!

Aida - wonderful to hear from you! I hope you are doing well :) We miss you lots!