Monday, September 19, 2011

Bangladeshi Food

Today a good friend took me to the local grocery store to get some fruits, vegetables, and meat.  In order to eat the produce here, you have to soak them for 20 minutes in water with a bit of bleach.  Due to the water being so contaminated here, you have to be careful when eating anything raw or anything with the local water.

I bought some mangos, grapes (that are tiny!) and 1/2 kilogram of veal.  The veal cost 375 taka, which equates to about $4.75.  Quite inexpensive :)

Yesterday I had my first local food, and it wasn't the best first impression.  It consisted of the scrawniest chicken leg, rice, some vegetable mix that was CRAZY spicy, a piece of fish, and some cut up cucumbers. The sauce that came with the chicken was also very spicy.  The fish had a ton of tiny bones, and since I'm not a huge fish fan to begin with, I decided to give my fish to my husband.  The soup was pretty good - I think it had polenta and various vegetables in it.

I will definitely have local food again - I've heard the home cooked Bangladeshi food is much, much better.  We have an interview for a cook/bearer next week, so I'm looking forward to that!  It'll be very strange having someone else doing the cooking and cleaning, but I think I'll manage it somehow :)

2 comments:

Emma H. said...

Hi Lindsay! This is really good. I'm so glad that you are posting your experiences! I wish I had done something similar when I lived in the Panama Canal Zone since it is so easy to forget the details! We are very glad to hear that you, Jason and the cats got there and are doing so good. Just wanted to wish you the best of the best for your stay in Bangladesh and am looking forward to following your posts so we can hear all about your time there! God bless you and keep you safe! Hugs to both! Auntie Em and uncle Jorge.

Lindsay said...

So great to hear from you both! Thank you so much - I hope you're both doing well, and that Jorge is recovering well. He is in our prayers!