Monday, October 10, 2011

Holud and Durga Puja

Last Wednesday we participated in a Holud - a Bangladeshi wedding celebration. Bangladeshi weddings are traditionally very elaborate and take several days.  We only attended the groom's Holud because the groom is a coworker. Like many marriages in Bangladesh, this one was arranged.  The bride and groom each have their own Holud that consists of different traditions.  The groom's Holud traditionally has dancing as the entertainment along with many other customs.  We, along with a few other Americans and Bangladeshis danced in the groom's honor.  Below are some pictures from the night.  I have tried multiple times to upload the videos, but I can't get them to work - not sure if it's the internet or the actual videos.  I will upload as soon as I can - promise!













After the Holud we went to a festival for Durga Puja.  Durga Puja is an annual Hindu festival in South Asia that celebrates worship of the Hindu goddess Durga (Puja means worship).  We went with two Bangladeshi coworkers, and thank goodness because it was extremely crowded and we were the only foreigners there (it was after 11pm).  I have never had so many cell phones in my face taking pictures and videos of us.  At some points the crowd would part just so they could get a good look at us.  Oh yeah, and we were also on TV.

Below is the temporary temple they assembled for the festival


Below is the crowd assembled in front of the shrine to Durga


The goddess Durga



6 comments:

lkennedy said...

Wow! For a temporary temple, it sure looks permanent!! Great pictures!

MSeuc said...

excellent pics! you guys are constantly living in adventure!

Jason said...

No mention of the groping?? As we were in a humongo crowd, Lindsay was groped constantly. Just as I defended the backside, the advancing grabbing enemies outflanked me from the front. Luckily the sari wraps around her 15x so it wasn't so bad. Somewhere about 900 people have a cell phone video of this. And also of my face - one kid had a phone videotaping my cheek for about 5 minutes. I don't object, it's a dang good looking cheek.

Anonymous said...

Lol, poor Linds, I think the groping would get old! Kris

Lindsay said...

Ha, yeah the groping was pretty bad - but so far that's the only time it's happened. I'm sure it's not the last though!

The Bloom Woods said...

Linds!! i didn't know you had a blog!!! YAY!! This looks awesome (besides the groping! ha) What a cool experience!! Ill be keeping tabs...seeing if you find a softball team!! haha
xoxo