Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dhaka needs a better drainage system

We were walking around a different part of Dhaka when we got stuck in the rain - for the millionth time since we've been here.  You'd think after living in Miami for 8 + years, we'd carry an umbrella with us - but no, we somehow forget every time we leave our apartment.  I have no idea what's wrong with us.  So anyway, there aren't many sidewalks here, and therefore you have to walk in the dirty, muddy street most of the time as cars beep at you every few seconds.  If it rains the smallest bit, all of the streets flood.  So, in our tennis shoes we had to wade through massive, foul-smelling puddles while making sure we didn't get hit by a car, rickshaw, or motorbike.  Needless to say, we had to wash our shoes when we got home.






5 comments:

Aaron said...

Isn't Dhaka infamous for its terrible sewer system? I feel like when I've googled Dhaka that's all that comes back. You need these:
http://shop.nativeshoes.com/v5fmsnet/OeCart/OeFrame.asp?PmSess1=64953&SXREF=1&CurPath=1

Lindsay said...

Yeah it really is. Those look like great shoes, thanks Aaron!

Anonymous said...

yuck on the drainage oh well you are in bangla don't go out in the rain ha ha stay well J B

JB said...

Hi Lindsey I am JB's sister Donna -- enjoy reading your Blog with her..I am helping JB learn how to work the blog,, her previous comments have been anonymous.. this attempt is to help you identify that it is her. Hope we are successful. Good luck in Bangla

Lindsay said...

Hi JB and Donna - thanks so much for the comments! And thank you Donna for helping JB out :)