A pura is a Balinese Hindu temple which differs from the indoor Indian Hindu temples. Puras are open air complexes surrounded by a wall with beautifully decorated gates. All of the temples I saw had traditional split gates, which are guarded on both sides by temple guards. Each family has their own pura as well as a village pura.
Split gate from a family temple
Split gate from Pura Tirtha Empul A temple guard at Pura Tirtha Empul
The first temple I visited was Goa Gajah, also known as Elephant Cave, which dates back to the 11th century. There are also holy water bathing pools within the complex.
The next temple complex I visited was Gunung Kawi, which also dates back to the 11th century. The 10 shrines are carved out of the existing rock, measure about 23 feet high and are very impressive. The complex is situated in a beautiful jungle with a flowing creek and towering trees throughout.
The last temple I visited, Pura Tirtha Empul (Temple of Holy Water), was built on a large, bubbling spring in 926 AD. The spring is regarded as very sacred, and is said to have been created by Indra, the King of Gods in Hindu mythology, and to have curative properties. While I walked around, I stumbled upon a small ceremony.
The spring that provides the water to the bathing pools
Offerings to the Gods
Check out #3
I know my Bali posts have been going on forever, but that's because I saw so many amazing things. I only have 1 left, and I hope you've enjoyed them!

















0 comments:
Post a Comment