Thursday, August 16, 2012

Stunning Beaches of Bali

One of the things I really wanted to do in Bali was visit the beaches of the Bukit Peninsula. I'd heard that they were gorgeous with dramatic cliffs and temples, and I just had to see them. I started off going to Padang Padang Beach, where a surfing competition was taking place. The beach was packed with surfers and spectators as well as food and beer stands. This made for a pretty good afternoon.

Padang Padang Beach










Uluwatu Temple


My next stop was Uluwatu Temple, located on the top of a steep cliff overlooking the vast Indian Ocean.  It was absolutely breathtaking.  There were monkeys everywhere at the temple, and I was told to take my sunglasses off the top of my head so they wouldn't steal them.















Suluban Beach


Suluban Beach is very close to Uluwatu Temple, so I stopped there for a beer before heading to Jimbaran. Suluban Beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen (thanks Steph!). I must have taken over 50 pictures in a span of 30 minutes. The incredibly wide sand beach with rocks and coral visible from at least 50 feet above was very impressive.





























Jimbaran Seafood Barbecue


On my way to back to Sanur, where I'd be spending the rest of my time, I stopped in Jimbaran for their famous seafood barbecue. The tables are set up right on the sand, and you select the live seafood you want from the many tanks set up in the restaurant. I felt a tad guilty as the waiter pulled the crab out of the tank and took him to the kitchen, but the guilt went away as soon as it arrived on my plate. Wow, was it delicious!






YUM!




1 comments:

J said...

Awesome. Boy, did I miss out. When are we going back??