Sunday, June 24, 2012

Brick Factories

Brick factories in Bangladesh (especially on the outskirts of Dhaka) are everywhere. As soon as you get away from the city center, you see the brick kilns rising into the sky, emitting an incredible amount of black smoke. The brick factories shut down during the monsoon season, so we were only able to find one working factory when we went. Since the pollution from these kilns is so severe, I've heard that the monsoon season is beautiful as the skies are blue and the air is cleaner.  If that's the case, I'm very excited for monsoon season!

Just like the migrant workers at the riverfront, these workers live on site along with their families. My friend and I walked around the premises taking photos of the friendly workers and their families. We were even invited into one of their homes.







This man is taking a break from the manual labor to talk on his cell phone...





Look at all those towers!  No wonder we haven't had a dropped call since moving here.













This boy and his mother were adorable.  His mother was giving him a bath in the nearby river.  If the river was cleaner, I would have jumped in to cool off!
































The families live in small huts a few hundred feet from the brick kiln, and this family was happy to invite me into their home.  The father was sitting next to me and fanned me the whole time I sat there.  They were very patient with me as I took dozens of photos!





Below is dried cow dung that the local village uses for fuel.  




I had such an amazing time walking around both the brick factory and the riverfront. Bangladeshis are so friendly and love having their photos taken (for the most part). I was surprised at how many workers spoke English - and it was very good!  I plan on going on more photo adventures very soon - it's such a great way to see the real Bangladesh!

0 comments: