Here are pictures of the last temple I went to in Bangkok. After speaking to some other foreigners at the Grand Palace, I decided it would be easiest to take a regular taxi to Wat Arun instead of a water taxi. One frustrating thing about Bangkok is that they don't have signs for major tourist attractions. For example, there is no sign for the entrance to any of the temples, or signs for the water taxis. So I figured I'd save myself time by taking a taxi instead of looking for the specific water taxi that took me to Wat Arun. So I waved down my first taxi and they demanded 300 baht for the trip - which was insane, so I declined. My second taxi used the meter, so I thought I was getting a fair deal. Well, boy was I mistaken! The meter went 3 or 4 times faster than the regulated meters in Bangkok, and when I said something the driver replied in Thai and was visibly agitated. As this was my first time really exploring a foreign country on my own, I decided to just sit it out and pay him. Instead of it costing around 40 baht, it ended up costing 200. Quite frustrating. So the taxi driver drops me off and says Wat Arun is right 'over there'. Well I had no idea where he was pointing, so I wandered around until I finally found someone I thought I could trust to ask where the entrance was. Thankfully he did not lie to me like the guys at the Grand Palace.
Below is a picture of Wat Arun from the river
Close ups of the temple
You can walk up a few stories of the temple, but it is very, very steep. I felt silly clambering up the stairs with my big camera and using both arms to hold onto the railing on each side of me, but oh well - I was a bit afraid. It was worth it - great views!
Below is a view of the Grand Palace and water taxis from Wat Arun



3 comments:
You're such a brave girl! I'm not even your Mom & I worry about you!
Your photos are great --very professional. Next thing you will be working for National Geographic!
Keep it up. Aida
Thanks Aida! No need to worry about me! I'm enjoying myself and being safe :)
Post a Comment