My last photography field visit to Mirpur, Dhaka was with a fellow photographer and friend, Beyond the Cornfields, who I am sad to say goodbye to. One of the many difficult things of living the foreign service life is that people are always coming and going, and you never know when you'll see them again.
The last time I went to the loading docks of Mirpur, I was with a male friend, while this time I went with a female friend, who was also blonde. The difference between the two trips was huge, and I'm sure you can guess why. There were a number of times when 40+ men gathered around us in a circle, and I have to admit I felt very claustrophobic. As long as we kept walking, we were ok. Plus, I never felt threatened - they were just incredibly curious. Lots of smiles and questions in Bangla that unfortunately we couldn't understand.
It's always a battle of emotions when hundreds of men and women crowd around you and stare. I understand their fascination, and for the first 30 minutes or so I am happy to smile and talk to them in my limited Bangla. But after awhile, I can't help but feel frustrated and nervous - and that's when I know it's time to go.
Most women in Bangladesh can be tricky to photograph, as you never know how they'll respond, whereas men are always eager to have their pictures taken. Because of this, I'm always looking to get a really good photograph of a Bangladeshi woman. Their clothing is always beautiful and colorful, and it really makes for a great picture.
Although I had a wonderful time photographing that day, I'll be sure to have a male companion with me from now on!










1 comments:
These photos are amazing! I love the idea of photography excursions/workshops. I wonder if there is someone who organizes such things in El Salvador. Although the security factor would limit access somewhat.
Sometimes I feel like I am stared at a lot here, and that makes me uncomfortable, but I can't imagine being crowded around like you described!
Post a Comment