My summer vacation started with a 6 day trip to the Philippines followed by a 9 day trip to Bali. I can definitely say that it was the best summer vacation of my life, and I still can't believe the life we are living sometimes. We counted up the number of countries we've visited in the last 10 months and we came up with 12 between the two of us. Our lives have changed so drastically in the last year, and I'm incredibly grateful for all of these amazing opportunities!
While in the Philippines, we visited Intramuros, the oldest district of Manila dating back to 1590. All of the historical buildings are from the Spanish era, so it reminded us of Mexico when we went there a few years ago. There have been restorations throughout the years, and there are numerous newer buildings located within the walls.
The Manila Cathedral (est. 1571)
The reconstructed main gate of Fort Santiago
Some tourists riding around Fort Santiago in a calesa (horse drawn carriage)
These girls were in the middle of a photo shoot in front of Fort Santiago - I used my long lens to sneak a photo :)
Since we were staying in Manila, I decided to go on a day trip to Taal Volcano, the smallest active volcano in the world. The volcano is only 30 miles away, so it was a great way to get out of the city and do some hiking.
On our drive to the volcano, we stopped at a local cafe and tried kopi luwak, also known as civet coffee. It's made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by a civet and then passed through its digestive tract. Yummy! Since the cats can't digest the beans, they are still whole when they come out. Now I like coffee, but I am no coffee connoisseur. With that said, I couldn't tell the difference between this coffee and regular coffee. But now I can say that I've had it!
Here is the civet that the family had behind their shop.
Taal Volcano is an island surrounded by Taal Lake, and due to an eruption in 1911, the lake partially fills the center of the main crater. So essentially it's a volcanic island with a lake in the middle of it and surrounding it - absolutely breathtaking!
The outrigger canoe we took from the mainland to the island containing Taal Volcano
Before arriving on the island, we were asked if we'd prefer to hike or take a horse to the top. We all said we'd rather walk and get some exercise, but there were locals on horses behind us almost the entire time just in case.
The trail - only 3 miles to the top and back
Absolutely breathtaking - I haven't done any editing whatsoever to this photo (or the others)
This is the rickety dock we boarded from - I was so nervous it was going to break!
This was the first volcano I've ever seen, and I was absolutely amazed. There are so many beautiful things in this world!

















4 comments:
Wow. I reaaaaally love the volcano pictures. The world is such a beautiful place. You are so fortunate to get to expore it so extensively. miss you.
Unbelievable Lindsay!
Unbelievable Lindsay!
Miss you too, Mariss! And Carrie, when are you coming back?? You've been gone way, way too long :)
Post a Comment