This evening I went for a walk in the park behind our apartment building and had some fun conversations with the locals. Whenever I go to this park, there are always people taking photos of me with their phones. Actually, whenever I go anywhere there are locals taking pictures of me. I don't mind - I want to take photos of them too! I spoke my limited Bangla with a few older women, and I could tell they were excited to talk to a white foreigner. I also spoke English with a teenage boy whose mother convinced him to talk to me - he appeared quite nervous! His nephew was running around the park with a phone taking pictures of me. It was really endearing. I decided to take a photo of him too.
The park has incredibly beautiful flowers, and I just had to take photos of them! There are these huge flowers that they call sunflowers here. They are the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen.
A family asked me to take a photo of their daughter in front of a flower I was taking a picture of. They had her pose in a certain way, but she refused to smile. A lot of the local women here will smile, but as soon as you go to take their picture they put on a serious face.
Some more flower photos. I'm practicing my techniques :)
Below is a picture of a family on the see-saw. Since arriving in Bangladesh, I've noticed that many young children have a black spot on their foreheads. At first I thought it was some sort of birth mark; but after seeing the same black spot on dozens of children, I realized it must be some sort of custom. After talking to locals and researching online, I found out that the parents paint this black spot on their child in order to avert the 'evil eye'.
On that note I will say goodbye. Happy Valentine's Day!! :)









2 comments:
HI Lindsay..>happy V day...I am so happy that you are enjoying your life and getting to see so many beautiful things...I love the pictures...they are wonderful and you capture every detail beautifully......Know that you are missed.... Happy to see you...Anna
Thank you so much Anna! I hope you're doing well - miss you lots!
Post a Comment