Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ships

Another interesting thing we saw along the river were the ships.  I knew Bangladesh was famous for its shipwrecking, but I didn't realize that ships were also built here.  We saw a couple dozen ships along the riverbank being built out of wood and scrap metal.  Quite interesting!


Freshening up the paint job




Ships in the various stages of being built



Every time I saw one of these ships I thought it was sinking...  I even asked one of the guides why they were so low, but I don't think he understood what I was asking.  I've gotten pretty used to asking locals questions and getting a response that has nothing to do with what I've asked.  Either that or they just don't respond at all.  I really need to learn some Bangla!



Instead of SS in front of the ship names like we have in the US, they all had MV





I'm really enjoying my time in Bangladesh so far - being in a developing country is such a fun and exciting experience.  Even though it has its difficulties, things like this boat tour really make it worthwhile. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure have the right attitude for being where you are! I think I would be frustrated far too often! Once again, love the pictures! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

You have a good eye to know what it's interesting!
Keep doing it.
love,
aida

Lindsay said...

Thank you both so much! :)

Aaron said...

M/V just stands for Motor Vessel...

Lindsay said...

ahh thanks Aaron.